1947 Archie Comic "butthole." What did it mean?

David A. Daniel dad at POKERWIZ.COM
Thu May 3 16:38:31 UTC 2012

Polite society (ahem) refers neither to assholes nor armpits as examples of
that which everyone has, but to belly buttons. We could learn, for example,
from the Mexicans who call/used to call VW beetles (the old variety)
"ombligos" (belly buttons) because, of course, everybody has/had one. I
think one criterion for citing something that everyone has must be that it
has to be at least mildly amusing. I mean, otherwise, we could just as
easily cite intestines, livers, hearts, noses, ears, teeth - well maybe not
teeth, but almost everything else not gender specific.
DAD

Poster:       Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
Subject:      Re: 1947 Archie Comic "butthole." What did it mean?
---

On May 3, 2012, at 11:39 AM, Charles C Doyle wrote:

> I sent the following several hours ago, but, as far as I can tell,  it
never got posted (that happens to a certain percentage of the items I
endeavor to post-- perhaps 5% or 10%).

> <<  I must confess:  The (now in print) _Dictionary of Modern Proverbs_
lacks an entry for "Theories are like assholes . . . ."  However, entries
for the more common "Excuses are like assholes . . ." and "Opinions are like
assholes . . ." do appear (with the silly "armpits" variants).  >>

> --Charlie

That *is* a silly variant, since we've all (well, most of us, anyway) got
two of those.  Although I suppose in that form the punchline would be "We've
all got 'em" or the link.  But the substitution, presumably prompted by the
paucity of odiferous concave body parts beginning with a-, is not
unprecedented; various places are typically described alternatively as "the
asshole/armpit of X", where X is a larger geographical entity.

LH

---

> Um, everybody's got one.
>
> JL
>
> On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 10:22 PM, Dan Nussbaum <yekkey at aol.com> wrote:
>
>> Poster:       Dan Nussbaum <yekkey at AOL.COM>
>> Subject:      Re: 1947 Archie Comic "butthole." What did it mean?

---