Jungle gyms

Thu May 3 22:28:57 UTC 2012

On May 3, 2012, at 12:24 PM, Joel S. Berson wrote:

> At 5/3/2012 02:42 PM, Alice Faber wrote:

>>> Isn't "monkey bar" another name for what we called a jungle gym?  I
>>> think we only used the latter term.  But I suppose if some
>>> outlander called the jungle gym a monkey bar we wouldn't have
>>> looked around for someone to whip up a banana daiquiri.  And we
>>> were also pretty sure we didn't have to worry about getting cut by
>>> the sharp blades of a see-saw.  It's all context.
>>
>> Yeah, in my NY suburb, in the late 50s/earl 60s, 'jungle gym' was the
>> default term, but we knew that there were people who called them monkey
>> bars.
>
> Me too, in NYC (well, almost a suburb -- the far North Bronx).

Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jungle_gym) claims they are the same thing, but my recollection is they are different. Compare the photos on that page (which are jungle gyms to me) to the single row of bars at http://lookatmyhappyrainbow.com/monkey-bars/, which to me are monkey bars.

Aloha from Maui
Benjamin Barrett