Jungle gyms and monkey bars

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu May 3 23:53:31 UTC 2012

I still say "_in_ the playground,"  maybe because those in Central Park
were fenced in.

BTW, I hear "campus" used more and more (and more) as the preferred term
for areal "grounds" of any kind, particularly those related to prisons,
hospitals, and office buildings. Not in OED.

There was a time when it sounded odd to me even when applied to high-school
grounds. It got odder when it hit the elementary schools.

JL