1947 citing in Archie Comic of "butthole." What did it mean?

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Thu May 10 19:22:20 UTC 2012

It's more complicated yet. As Alton Brown loves pointing out, a pork
butt is not the rear of the carcass, but the upper shoulder, roughly
corresponding to blade chuck in cows (blade & chuck in British
cuts)--it's the butt end of the fore-ham, with the other end being the
shank. Nor is rump the hindquarter on a cow, but rather its back. On a
pig, the hindquarter cut is the leg or leg ham; on a cow, it's the
round; on a lamb or mutton, it's the leg; on a rabbit, it's just
hindquarter. To the best of my knowledge, none of these have ever been
referred to as "butt". Butt is not a currently recognized cut of beef
either in US or in British or Australian processing system. If it were,
it most likely would have been the part of other cuts that's closest to
the skin and is thus covered by a substantial layer of fat, such as the
rump cover. Rump had been taboo in US meat cuts unlit the early 2000s.
Now it's become ubiquitous, as the industry is rebranding a large number
of inferior cuts (e.g., "chuck tenders") in an attempt to extract
premium prices from them. But "butt" is still only reserved for pork
shoulder.

     VS-)