1947 citing in Archie Comic of "butthole." What did it mean?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun May 13 00:33:38 UTC 2012

_Archie_ has arrived. I've just finished reading "More than 800 Sequential
Comic Strips from the Very Beginning!"

The strip in question appears on the bottom of p. 128, as part of a story
about Archie's usher job, which March 19 and ran through April 24.

It's the only time the strip uses the word "butthole." There's one other
use of "prime," weeks later, in the sense of "enjoyable; splendid."
"Bug-house" appears once but clearly hyphenated.

Montana (who, judging from a photo on p. 295, strongly resembled Jughead)
uses a fair amount of slang, most of it either familiar late '40s stuff
(e.g., "cut a rug," "clip joint," "keen," "jaloppy," "square," "hep,"
etc.).  I see no evidence anywhere among the strips of the kind of
super-subtle punning that would be suggested by a contrast between "prime"
and "offal."

Montana uses a number of expressions that strike me as ad-hoc and for the
nonce. Certainly I've never seen them before and they have a factitious
sound. Examples: "crack knees" (dance), "drip-lip" (a 'drip'), "tight as a
sailor's britches," "hop the hickories" (go skiing), "feeble greeble"
(weakling), "flick a lid" (take a look), "gush-slush" (romantic lyrics),
etc.

I was very surprised to see Archie ask Jughead, whom he's just called a
"double-crosser," "What is this...'Slug-Your-Buddy Week'?" (March 4, 1946,
p. 16).  (Cf. HDAS, "fuck-your-buddy week," asserted by one source to date
from WW2).

There are a handful of other items of passing interest, one being the
remarks of the MC at the Junior Prom (Feb. 27, 1946): "Here's the first
jump, you cats!...All reet, Doc, let 'er rock!"

It isn't "rock' n' roll," but it's a foreshadowing..

I could find no indication of the precise source of the April 2, 1947,
strip.

Here's how the shrewd, media-savvy McClure Syndicate pitched the strip to
papers in 1945.  "Archie" had been appearing in_Pep_ comics since 1941:

"ARCHIE has already won the heart of the nation as the outstanding
portrayal of Youth with its inevitable and hilarious dilemmas, its fetching
romance, its endlessly delightful humor" (300).

In the words of Conrad: "Ah, Youth!"

JL