random

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun May 13 17:43:16 UTC 2012

On May 13, 2012, at 3:08 AM, Victor Steinbok wrote:
> ***
>
> In the post-game interview, Gasol mentioned getting his "ass over" to
> the right spot, although the comment did not show up in printed stories
> or in highlights (except for the live interview on TBS--and cable,
> especially after midnight in most of the country, can be easily excused
> for letting it stay in). In fact, "ass", "asshole", "bitch", "son of a
> bitch" have all become fairly routine in USA Network and TBS original
> prime-time drama shows. Can't get /that/ cat back in the bag.

I noticed that in the interview, and Charles Barkley quoted Pau Gasol's comment ("I just gotta be agressive and I gotta get my ass in the paint") in the post-game show; getting one's ass in the paint is not an expression for which there's likely to be a Spanish counterpart.  (Gasol is from Spain, but seems pretty comfortable in English by now, although he inadvertently almost referred to his teammate Metta World Peace as "Ron".)

LH