1947 citing in Archie Comic of "butthole." What did it mean?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon May 14 13:33:56 UTC 2012

More precisely, I'm arguing that the phrase to "get butthole" is both a
hapax and either a nonce use or some kind of prank.

The apparent vulgarity compounds the mystery which is not "What did it mean
in the strip?" but the broader one of "What's it doing there in the first
place?"

JL