"the finger" in 1932 Hollywood epic

Baker, John JBAKER at STRADLEY.COM
Mon May 14 14:51:14 UTC 2012

The Wikipedia article on Finger (gesture) includes a picture of what it says is a baseball pitcher giving the finger to the camera in a team picture in 1886.  It's kind of hard to see the detail in the version of the picture on Wikipedia, but it does look like that might be what he's doing.  That would probably be the earliest photographic evidence of flipping the bird.

John Baker

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Jonathan Lighter
Sent: Monday, May 14, 2012 7:29 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: "the finger" in 1932 Hollywood epic

Not exactly an antedating, though the evidence in HDAS is a little
confusing. Put simply, the fig. sense "treat maliciously" is attested (in
Funk & Wagnalls!) in 1890-93, but the literal sense, in ref. to an gesture
is not clearly found till 1961.

(Maybe Jon Green lists an earlier literal ex.)

It is claimed that the gesture comes to us straight from Roman times, but
the lexical evidence says otherwise.  My wild guess is that it was
introduced into Anglo-American culture by Italian immigrants in the 19th C.
 (The point of origin of the British "two-finger" gesture remains a
mystery, and even now it is little known in the U.S.)

Didn't we discuss "giving the bird" long ago?

Originally (19th C. England) it seems to have meant hissing or deriding an
actor on stage. Later, anybody.  The innocuous sense is frequent in the
1940s.  At some point, perhaps ca1950, the phrase came to designate giving
"the finger."  (HDAS exx. begin in 1966).

JL