"the finger" in 1932 Hollywood epic (UNCLASSIFIED)

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue May 15 16:35:11 UTC 2012

At 5/15/2012 12:25 PM, Victor Steinbok wrote:
>My memory is different. Although a common gesture involves straightening
>the arm to point, for this purpose, again, it depends on the umpire.
>Some use an emphatic thumb-over-the-shoulder jerk. A lot of these
>gestures seem to be trademarked by the umps

As are the various grunts for balls and strikes.

>(but not quite to the Naked
>Gun degree). Other sports have more uniform gestures by the officials
>and some are codified in the rules.

And the baseball grunts should be too.  I find I'm confused as I
switch baseball channels.  (Some umpires seem to grunt for balls,
although many grunters -- most? -- do not.)

Joel