"political"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue May 15 20:39:15 UTC 2012

We're on the same page, Joel, but the author (David D. Perlmutter, _Visions
of War_, p. 14) is not condemning hidden agendas, "false consciousness," or
the like. Believe it or not, he seems to be making a straightforward
statement that any educated reader should be able to understand. It appears
to be nonjudgmental: the "political" element in this cross-cultural naming
is misleading but not sinister. Instead it appears to be unconscious and
hard to avoid. (To that extent I have to agree with him.)

Maybe it's just a poor choice of words. Maybe "ideological" would be closer
to what he means, but that doesn't quite work for me either. "Misleadingly
ethnocentric" might work.  "Act" does have a tendentious sound, however.

But in any case, a Ph.D. believed in 1998 that the words "politics/
political" include any form of cross-cultural interpretation.

JL