flop, flopping

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Wed May 16 08:51:07 UTC 2012

A couple more comments.

OED has flop n.1, but there is no flop n.2 that I could find. OED is
also missing "flop" or "flops" as a measure of computer "speed" (also
megaflops, gigaflops and teraflops), as in "FLoating point OPerations
[per second]". Perhaps that's going to become flop n.2.

Of course, if flop v. and its derivative flopping were to include the
sports meaning, so should the flop n.1.

Flop n.1 4.b. seems to be a precursor and an equivalent of a "flip-flop"
(and, contrary to popular belief, it's not a precursor by much--if at all!).

There is also potentially a flop as the sound of flapping wings, but
that's going tii be hard to document.

     VS-)