fashion terms

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sat May 19 00:11:32 UTC 2012

A few fashion terms that are (kind of) new to me. I am not a fashion
regular, so I only notice these things through chain-browsing.

booty pants--"pants" maybe an exaggerations and exaggeration is exactly
the point; limited professional appeal, to say the least. Example:
http://goo.gl/K3JlX

jeggings--post-skinny-jeans; jeans-looking tights. Peaked in popularity
in 2010, but Levi's still makes a variety of these. Example: See Wiki or
here http://goo.gl/jGxlv

slinky[TM] dress--this one is actually not new, of course, but it is
clearly getting close to genericide (if it hasn't formally happened
yet). This also may have become shortened to just "slinky" for the
entire style. Example: http://goo.gl/Otgmn (note the label snapshot--not
Slinky)

Daisy Dukes--the obvious: ultra-short, tight cut-off shorts; after Dukes
of Hazzard character, of course--bit not clear if from the show or from
the movie version. UD has it listed. Example: http://goo.gl/ulxK8 (also
covers another example of genericided "slinky")

Spanx--another item in danger of genericide. I initially thought it was
a shortened "spandex" (also in the process). But it's more--it's an
Atlanta company that manufactures "slim-wear". Of course, there is the
man's versions too--Manx (since 2010 http://goo.gl/EAxmG). See Wiki for
details or here http://goo.gl/sl3kn

I'm kind of glad I don't think about such things every day...

     VS-)