words that don't exist in English

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sat May 19 08:42:43 UTC 2012

Actually, it's worse than that.

There is a difference between "Ne zabyvaity!" and "Ne zabud'te!". Your
translation corresponds to the latter.

"Ne zabyvaite!" can be closely translated as "keep not forgetting!"
(even "don't keep forgetting!" would be wrong).

For example, these are different:

"Ne zabyvaite pisat'!"
"Ne zabud'te napisat'!"

The first literally means "Don't forget to write!" (keep writing letters
to "me"), while the latter is also "Don't forget to write!" but only
applied one--perhaps either to write a report or a letter to someone
else or memoirs--whatever, but something you only do once. If you're
asking someone to maintain correspondence, you use the former.

Another meaning of "Ne zabyvaite!" could be "Don't you forget
it!"--meaning that the other person has been confronted on the subject
of his error and he's reminded not to repeat the same error. None of
this can be conveyed compactly in English with a choice of words that
corresponds directly to the original. This does not mean that the ideas
cannot be communicated compactly.

     VS-)