interesting ad...

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon May 21 00:39:01 UTC 2012

…in today's NYT Magazine (p. 23) for Haiku's "BIG ASS FANS" ("Quirky name. Serious fans.")

Yes, this is a high-concept full page ad for a high-class product: "The best ceiling fans for living rooms where contemporary design becomes art." So of course they're merchandised as...
"Big Ass Fans".   O tempura! O morays! as they say in Japanese fried-eel emporia.

Other highlights:
1) "It's the new black."  (Never hurts to jump on a meme.)
2) "Don't call them blades" (the blades, that is).  Apparently, doing so would insult them.  (If you visit http://www.haikufan.com/ you'll see what look suspiciously like blades.)

and, from the copy-writers (or their cousins) who decades ago brought you "It's not a car.  It's a Volkswagen." And "It's not TV.  It's HBO.":
3) "We don't make ceiling fans. We make precision machines."

and of course
4) No haikus in sight. But the name sounds elegant, at least until you get to the Big Ass part.

LH