hockey talk

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Mon May 21 04:51:52 UTC 2012

Hockey talk, not coffee talk...

http://goo.gl/jDWha
> The 28-year-old winger, who had a telephone hearing with NHL
> disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan on Sunday morning, told reporters
> after practice that his intent was not to hurt the 30-year-old Russian.
> "I was trying to rub him out and get off the ice. He bailed on it a
> bit, turned and went low. It's just kind of a reaction when you're
> off-balance and your arms go up. I didn't want to do a faceplant into
> the boards," Prust said. "It was just kind of a reaction. I had no
> intent to hit him in the head there. There was nothing vicious about it."
> When asked whether he thought Volchenkov stayed down on the ice to
> embellish the hit and earn a call -- as Rangers coach John Tortorella
> asserted in his Sunday press conference earlier that morning -- Prust
> said: "I didn't really hit him that hard, I just kind of grazed his
> helmet and got his helmet a little bit and it slid up and for sure
> you're trying to get a penalty when you're helmet comes off. It's just
> natural. You're going to try to sell it for a power-play."

I'm particularly curious about the "rub him out" comment, as "rub out"
is usually much more forceful than intended here. Prust was suspended
for elbowing Volchenkov in the head, but the suspension is only one
game, whereas other suspensions for arguably similar acts have been for
two or three games recently. Last time we were discussing "rub him out"
it was in the context of assassinations.

     VS-)