Young adult books are full of swearing, BYU study says: And characters who curse are more successful, better looking | New York Daily News

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon May 21 23:09:04 UTC 2012

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 5:51 PM, Victor Steinbok <aardvark66 at gmail.com> wrote:
> And we wonder why Snooki is famous.

This sentence, IMO, reveals this article to be nothing more that
right-wing, fundamentalist propaganda. As one who has seen everything
that has to do with Jersey Shore and Snooki on MTV and in Star - the
sibling of the National Enquirer specializing in all kinds of "news"
about "celebrities" - I can tell you that Snooki is in no way "famous"
in the relevant sense. What she's best known - but not "famous" - for
is  drunkenness, not wearing any underwear, and exposing her
"scorched-earth" genitalia to public view, as a consequence thereof.

There's no connection between Snooki's lifestyle and the use of
random, well-known colloquialisms in literature for "young adults."

BTW, how has it come t be the case that the writer of this screed can
be familiar both with "bad" words and Snooki, yet be concerned only
for the souls of others and not for his own soul?

The guardian of morality always seeks to keep others from knowing and
being "harmed" by what he himself knows, yet is not harmed thereby.

I'm reminded of Bowdler, the Hays Code, the Index of Forbidden Books,
and the Legion of Decency, not to mention official censorship by
governments.

Uh, not that this has anything to do with dialectology.

--
-Wilson
-----