But for (from ID TV)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue May 22 23:04:17 UTC 2012

On May 22, 2012, at 3:50 PM, Hunter, Lynne R CIV SPAWARSYSCEN-PACIFIC, 71700 wrote:

> You're certainly right about people getting things backwards. But while
> Dr. Phil's use of "predecessor" (instead of "successor") could possibly
> be excused as a slip of the tongue (despite his having repeated it
> several times)

Not a slip of the tongue on Dr. Phil's part, I'd think, as much as the same process that leads to people talking about inheriting traits from their descendants, or passing them down to their ancestors.  We've had threads about those.  Maybe feature toggling is the diagnosis.  This one ("but for a random search they were brought together" in the sense standardly expressed by "but for a random search they wouldn't have met") might be more like the inverse "let alone" we've also discussed ("I've never been to Paris, let alone France").

LH