You Only Live Once - YOLO

Thu May 24 21:09:30 UTC 2012

Thanks for you response Charlie. I noticed that the Dictionary of
Modern Proverbs did not list “You only live once”, but did mention it
in the discussion of “You only go around once in life, so grab all the
gusto you can!”

I concluded that you and your co-authors had antedated the saying to
the 1800s or earlier. But I also saw that the saying was not listed in
the appendix of “No Longer Modern Proverbs”. I thought you might have
located a very early cite.

There are variants in the 1700s such as “we live but once in this
world” where “only once” is replaced by “but once”.

Garson