Mandela quote: If you talk to a man in a language he understands ….

Sun May 27 00:48:01 UTC 2012

It looks like the Peace Corps Director attributed a version of the
quote to Mandela in 1994. HathiTrust has a record from the House of
Representatives:

STATEMENT OF CAROL BELLAMY, DIRECTOR, PEACE CORPS

[Begin excerpt]
I saw a wonderful quote the other day from Nelson Mandela on the power
of language. He was explaining why he forced himself to learn
Afrikaans: When you speak to a man in a language he understands, it
goes to his head; when you speak to him in his language, it goes to
his heart. That's what Volunteers need to do-reach the hearts of the
people
they serve.
[End excerpt]

http://hdl.handle.net/2027/umn.31951d00273701q