OT: be careful quoting Faulkner

Fri Nov 2 04:24:36 UTC 2012

The TechDirt website has an article about another lawsuit filed by the
litigious Faulkner estate.

[Begin excerpt]

Faulkner Estate Keeps Suing: Sues Washington Post Over Ad That Quoted One
Sentence

by Mike Masnick on Wed, Oct 31st 2012

http://bit.ly/TfInHE

…

The second lawsuit, filed Friday, was against the Washington Post and
defense contractor giant Northrop Grumman. Why? Because Northrop Grumman
ran an ad in the Washington Post that quoted (with attribution) a single
sentence from a Harper's article that Faulkner once wrote.

The ad, which ran on July 4th, 2011, included: "We must be free not because
we claim freedom, but because we practice it. -- William Faulkner." It had
a giant image of an American flag and some more text celebrating July 4th.

[End excerpt]