bulldozer = 'bucket loader'

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Nov 3 01:46:14 UTC 2012

A CNN reporter in Staten Island observed that a "bulldozer" was about to
pass between him and the camera. What actually passed was a familiar
vehicle known as a "bucket loader," "front loader," or "front-end loader."

Of the latter, OED has only "front-end loader."

More to the point: even though a loader has wheels rather than tracks, the
technical designation is not nearly so well known as "bulldozer," which it
somewhat resembles.  Indeed, up till a few years ago I'd have called it a
"bulldozer" too, though with the conviction that I must be using the wrong

The biggest difference besides the wheels is that the loader is designed to
dig and load, while the bulldozer is designed for levelling and clearing.


"If the truth is half as bad as I think it is, you can't handle the truth."

The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org

More information about the Ads-l mailing list