"You can't make this stuff up."

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Nov 3 19:30:25 UTC 2012

Come to think of it, Dave Barry usually says, "I am not making this up."

GB searches for "You can't make this up" and "You could never make this up"
don't go as far back as Doug's 1979. "

Most of us were grownups by then.

"I am not making this up" exx. at GB begin in 1904, with a good
interruptive and rhetorical one in 1917:

"It was unpretentious and uncurtained, but it had a real bed, a chair, and
actually —*I am not making this up* — it had a small mirror hanging on the
wall."

But it wasn't common for a long time.

JL