"Don=?windows-1252?Q?=92t_?=let the door hit you in the butt on the way out"

Sat Nov 3 21:55:55 UTC 2012

I think I would say the standard form I know is "Don't let the door hit you on the way out." I didn't rip that off of anyone. It's something I have heard for as long as I can remember.

Although I understand it means "Scram and don't return," I've never understood the imagery, so I don't use it. It seems to be some sort of sarcasm, implying that even the door wants to get rid of you so bad, that it's prepared to hit the person in the behind.

The expression that Wilson provides doesn't elucidate the imagery at all for me.

Benjamin Barrett
Seattle, WA