execution-style

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Nov 4 16:38:06 UTC 2012

On Nov 4, 2012, at 5:55 AM, Sarah wrote:

> Not to take away from fried chicken, but isn't "execution style" a rather particular term in that it has and can be applied to a person or persons murdered in a situation where there was no option to fight/escape, the death was quick and efficient (and the point), and the motivate was likely retribution/punishment/business?
>
> While there is the classic "on your knees, gun to back of the head" method, it does seem to be used in many variations where simply getting rid of that particular person or persons as quickly, efficiently, and neatly as possible is the method and goal. There is no rage, no torture, no ritual, no accidental "I didn't mean to", etc. It was a job. An execution (although yes, as JL pointed out, not a state-sanctioned one).
>
> S.

Another point that I don't think has been brought up (unless I missed it) is that when "execution-style" first came into vogue for those classic cases, it involved (I assume) a transfer of the methods of, as it were, state-executed execution to the gangland context, although presumably on-your-knees, gun-to-the-back-of-the-head wasn't employed as the standard method of administering capital punishment.  I think the resemblance noted in the other parts of Sarah's description is what prompted that transfer.  (Besides the factors mentioned above, there's the "he [at least usually he] had it coming", at least in the eyes of the execution-style executioner.

LH