antedating tit (and other things) (UNCLASSIFIED)

Tue Nov 6 22:56:46 UTC 2012

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

> Bill, I see a note of mine that says a single ex. of "tits" appears
> ca1840 among the reprinted _Bawdy Songsters of the Romantic Era_ (4
> vols., 2012).
>
> They went back to the library in July, but I may still be able to find
> the precise quot.  Shall I look? (Naturally I was too lazy and
> disgruntled to write it down, never thinking I'd need to allude to
it.)

No need on my account.  I was looking (as I said offline) for the phrase
"tits up", because it anachronistically appears in Dennis Lehane's novel
"Live by Night", set in the 1920s.  And all of the cites I posted were
found when hunting for "tits up".