taken shocked

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at MST.EDU
Thu Nov 8 20:21:20 UTC 2012

Laurence is correct that "taken by surprise" possibly played a role in the blending.  But probably not "taken for a loop," which strikes me as much less common and is probably a blend itself ("thrown for a loop" + "taken aback" or
"taken by surprise.")

Arnold, the ball's in your court now.

Gerald Cohen

On Thursday, November 08, 2012 12:16 PM Laurence Horn wrote:

On Nov 8, 2012, at 12:10 PM, Cohen, Gerald Leonard wrote:

> Yes. This looks like an amalgamation, aka "blend."
>
> Gerald Cohen

But how can we tell the blendee/amalgamee is "taken aback" rather than "taken by surprise"? Or even "taken for a loop"?  All are relatively common and overlap in meaning.  (Sorry for encroaching on Arnold's vineyard, as it were.)

LH