"To my _surprisement_, she called me."

Damien Hall damien.hall at NEWCASTLE.AC.UK
Sun Nov 11 14:35:08 UTC 2012

PLEASE NOTE MY NEW E-MAIL ADDRESS / PRIÈRE DE NOTER MA NOUVELLE ADRESSE ÉLECTRONIQUE

A friend's child, aged I think four and a half, also coined this recently.  That's apparently the age when children (monolingual ones, anyway) may often start to make morphological innovations.  Was this speaker a native speaker of English?  (From the context, I'm assuming it was an adult.)

Damien

--

Damien Hall

Newcastle University (UK / Royaume-Uni)

Leverhulme Early Career Fellow, 'Towards a New Linguistic Atlas of France'
Projet de recherche: 'Vers un Nouvel Atlas Linguistique de la France'