"sketch out"

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Wed Nov 14 16:16:21 UTC 2012

Heard in the wild last night on the Marketplace story about John McAfee
(of antivirus fame):

He started carrying around a gun and this "really sketched people out."

http://www.marketplace.org/topics/tech/web-pioneer-john-mcafee-caught-murder-mystery

I've become familiar with the "creepy" sense of "sketchy" because that
seems to be the first sense that comes to my students' mind when I use
it (while the "vague" sense is what I intend), but now here's a
corresponding verb with particle, where "sketch" seems to have replaced
"freaked."

I'd actually like someone else to listen to this and confirm that this
is what I really heard.

---Amy West

PS Saw in the paper the other day a story about OUP picking an American
and a British WOTY: "gif" for the American (really?!) and "omnishambles"
for the British (a MUCH better choice than "gif" IMHO).

http://www.telegram.com/article/20121113/API/311139998/0/SEARCH