Oosik in the news

Fri Nov 16 05:48:19 UTC 2012

Thank you for that kind follow-up.

All of those languages can be found on the tree at http://www.ethnologue.com/show_family.asp?subid=713-16 (Inuinnaqtun is said at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inuinnaqtun to be a dialect of Inuvialuktun, which leads back to Inuit).

From these definitions, there is probably no true source for this word in English; probably all of those languages can be collectively cited, though perhaps the Inuinnaqtun "uhuk" can be excluded.

The word is obviously also a semantic narrowing to baculum (though note the citation I gave at http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1663660/ shows that it may be used in some English communities to just mean "penis").

At http://blog.sfgate.com/white/2010/02/16/no-you-really-dont-need-that-walrus-penis-bone-letter-opener/, Ken White discusses the oosik trade, giving the pronunciation "ju sik," which seems dubious.

Based on White's article, I went to Ebay, and sure enough, there are a number of oosiks (White's plural) for sale: walrus, raccoon, badger, coyote, wolf, river otter, fisher (Martes pennanti), alligator and Romanian cave bear (I didn't verify each animal).

One of the alligator ads says, "Gators do not have a bone within the penis, as some animals do. Our gator guy, however, has literally tanned some of the alligator penises, though they are cartilage, they are perfectly preserved, and made into key chains."

One (http://www.ebay.com/itm/OOSIK-PENIS-BONE-BACULUM-INUIT-ESKIMO-ALASKA-TAXIDERMY-HUNTING-TRAPPING-/160921511754?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2577ab674a) ad says "oosik" even though the carving in the photo says "OOSUK MAXIMUS."

Synonyms given at http://www.ebay.com/itm/Real-Fisher-Penis-Bone-baculum-bacula-museum-os-oosik-weasel-cat-/221092409573?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337a2270e5 are: bacula, baccula, oosik, oosiks, os penis and mountain man toothpick. Wikipedia adds "penis bone."

FWIW, Googling on "polar bear penis" "carving" yields nothing relevant.

Benjamin Barrett
Seattle, WA