factoid

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Nov 16 12:44:24 UTC 2012

>  Back in our old unsophisticated days we used to think that if it wasn't
true, it wasn't a fact (however trivial it might (not) be.

That *was* a long time ago, wasn't it?

(Don't forget my obsessive-compulsive discussion of current uses of "fact"
here a few years ago.)

Norman Mailer coined "factoid" in 1973 in the sense of something widely
accepted as a fact though of dubious or no truthfulness. IIRC, he suggested
that a steamy affair between Marilyn and JFK would make a great factoid and
- voila! - it came to pass.

If I'm wrong, please advise. (When I tell people that JFK and MM were never
an item, they back away like I'm a mental patient released too soon.)

OED, BTW, doesn't recognize the later (and very common) sense, 'an
interesting but trivial or irrelevant fact.'

My sense is that it developed very soon after the original.

JL