factoid

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Nov 16 17:03:16 UTC 2012

On Nov 16, 2012, at 7:40 AM, Joel S. Berson wrote:

> At 11/16/2012 01:29 AM, Laurence Horn wrote:
>> On Nov 15, 2012, at 7:01 PM, Dave Wilton wrote:
>>
>> > Urban dictionary has a decent breakdown of the senses that I've heard:
>> > http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=factoid
>> >
>> > In my experience, their sense #2 is the more common: "A fact that
>> may or may
>> > not be true, but is trivial in nature."
>>
>> Interesting.  Back in our old unsophisticated days we used to think
>> that if it wasn't true, it wasn't a fact (however trivial it might (not) be.
>>
>> LH
>
> Not a dilemma, Larry.  -oid = "resembling", so not necessarily having
> the actual nature of.  Like the suffix -iness.

I wasn't criticizing the applicability of "factoid" to trivial or uninteresting facts and non-facts, but on its urban dictionary definition above--"A fact that may or may not be true".  It would be like defining a humanoid as "a human that may or may not be homo sapiens".  At the same time, I fully acknowledge that "fact" has been used in this (underspecified) way for decades; I remember being struck ages ago by the claim of some politician or other along the lines of "I categorically deny the fact that..." (he was involved in some reprehensible skullduggery).

LH