Provenance of /Or/ > [ar] / __@ ?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Nov 17 04:09:24 UTC 2012

That looks like Saint Louis Corridor to me. I grew up in Saint Louis
city, ca. 1942-1962. When I was in high school in 1955, a teacher who
was a native of Omaha remarked to the class that we St. Louisans had a
strange way of speaking. For example, instead of "F[o]rest P[a]rk," we
said "F[a]rest P[o]rk."

In fact, we said "F[ar]est P[a]rk," of course.

When I was in grade school, we tried to avoid having to say in class
any number between 39 and fifty, since, needless to say, "forty" was
necessarily pronounced "farty."

--
-Wilson
-----