New(?) jargon using the verb, _root_

Mon Nov 19 03:04:00 UTC 2012

In the 1998 example below the spelling for "rooted" is "r00t3d". This
is "leet" style parody spelling. This date can be pushed back I
believe. But searching Google Groups is a Sisyphean task. The results
are inconsistent and nonsensical. Also, maybe Phrack magazine has an
early cite.

Newsgroups: uk.telecom, uk.telecom.mobile
From: Paul Gregg
Date: 1998/12/26
Subject: Re: Free Calls to 07050 numbers
http://groups.google.com/group/uk.telecom/msg/dfb73f92cb2a605f
[Begin excerpt]
Absolute tripe. Unless you've r00t3d every news server in the world.
Which isn't the case since you sent begging emails to all ISPs begging
us to add your alt.fan.habankak crap.
[End excerpt]

Newsgroups: muc.lists.bugtraq
From: m... at MUCOM.CO.IL (Marc Esipovich)
Date: 1999/12/23
Subject: Re: Announcement: Solaris loadable kernel module backdoor
http://groups.google.com/group/muc.lists.bugtraq/msg/b1d32c77d295c0ff
[Begin excerpt]
> With the proliferation of these types of backdoors, is there any way to
> prevent your 'r00t3d' box from being backdoored?
[End excerpt]

Newsgroups: alt.phreaking
From: "Bryan Lloyd" <mitsu30... at home.com>
Date: 2000/06/22
Subject: Re: i hunger for KNOWLEDGE
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.phreaking/msg/57f28503d89bafb5
[Begin excerpt]
Also Linux, Unix, BSD and all like operating systems can be rooted and
files deleted or changed if you run telnet or ftp servers.
[End excerpt]