Car talk

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sun Nov 25 23:49:06 UTC 2012

Debunkers of popular etymologies may want to read today's encarnation
in the Boston Globe of Peter DeMarco's column on transportation, "Who
Taught You to Drive?".

http://tinyurl.com/c9qrt9d

On-line, it's titled "Driving lingo etymology, Part 1".  On paper, it
doesn't promise a Part 2, but ends with the teaser "We'll get to
Jersey barriers and station wagons next time."

In particular, it consults our own, and the Globe's, Ben
Zimmer.   Also, it cites Bonnie as originating "Black Friday" with
the Philadelphia police and traffic jams.  Is that correct?  To the
best of my recollection, the research found it associated earlier
with employee absenteeism the day after Thanksgiving.

Joel