UD: 1) _dick string_; 2)_snapping pussy_

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Nov 26 13:49:50 UTC 2012

As Wilson and HDAS both imply, context and the limited evidence suggest
that the string in question is notional rather than physical.

Once a common snapping turtle snaps, it becomes impossible for you to
remove your finger, toe, nose, etc., from its jaws until it decides to let
go, which in my experience can be thirty seconds or more. (It will seem
longer.)  In folk belief, you have to wait till sundown or when it
thunders. (It will seem longer.)

Thus, references to other kinds of snappers are what we academics call
"hyperbolic."

BTW, if you're bitten by an *alligator* snapper, you can get away
immediately because your finger, toe, nose, etc., will have been removed
*for* you.

JL