UD: [...] 2)_snapping pussy_

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Nov 27 03:23:12 UTC 2012

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 11:25 AM, Joel S. Berson <Berson at att.net> wrote:
>>There is no such thing as a "snapping pussy."

And *still* writes it. When Richard Pryor and I agree that the term,
"snapping pussy," as used by him in the '60's, we are *not*, in any
sense, trying to dessribe the world as it appears to *white* people in
2012. Except for Pryor's use of the term back in the day, I personally
have no experience with the term at all. Hence, I am in complete
agreement with Pryor that there is no such thing as a "snapping
pussy," just as there is no such thing as a "dick-string" and no term
for what *white* people refer to as a "soul patch.

Consider

_bring smoke on_ "shoot"

When I originally posted about this phrase, there was no indication by
anyone here that it was at all familiar. There was only my claim that
I had heard it in 1961, used by "hamburgers" in then-West Germany.
That is, in a certain sense, for readers, this phrase didn't exist. In
like manner, there is nothing in BE to which the terms "dick-string"
and "snapping pussy" refer. In that sense, they don't exist, any more
that "Diphyllobothrium latum" does

American Literature and the Experience of Vietnam - Page 8
[edited]
books.google.com/books?isbn=0820306126
Philip D. Beidler - 1982 - Preview - More editions
"Crazy" Somebody-or-Other loved to _bring smoke on_ anything that moved.

Submitted by Ken Smith on Wed, 04/13/2011 - 12:55

The following was extracted from an article written by Nicholas
Sellers entitled “Here’s The Word From Vietnam”, published in the
“Army Times”, Pacific Edition, January 7, 1970. (Note: I take no
responsibility for miss-spellings, punctuation, and
misinterpretations.)
[likewise edited]
Bring Smoke On: To bring smoke on someone is to give him a very hard
time, usually done by a superior in rank to an inferior, preferably by
an unexpected inspection.

http://www.aircav-condors.org/node/54

UD has, from '06,

3) After a few minutes of exchanging small arms fire with the
hostiles, our forward observer _brought smoke on_ 'em and it was over.

The reference is to the calling down of an artillery barrage onto the
hostiles' position. This moves me to propose the following WAG: this
term originated among cannon-cockers, "The King of Battle," as the
artillery styles itself.. In 1961, my unit shared a location with the
8th Infantry Division, which included artillery.

Of course, there's still only my word that the phrase was in use in 1961.
--
-Wilson
-----