More on Britishisms in AmE

Tue Oct 2 06:32:10 UTC 2012

Gary Martin says unreservedly that "plumb" is correct and "plum" is
incorrect, i.e., in this case, he is an advocate of good-old-fashioned
prescriptivism (or bad-old-fashioned prescriptivism).

[Being excerpt]
That piece uses the 'plum tuckered out' spelling rather than 'plumb
tuckered out'. 'Plumb' is the correct spelling but the incorrect
version is still found - rather inexplicably, as 'plumb' means
'completely; absolutely; quite', whereas a 'plum' is an edible fruit.
[End excerpt]

Here is a short link to the entry about "Tuckered out" at The Phrase
Finder website. Perhaps this link will work:

http://bit.ly/Pq1Rq6