A new one on me y'all guys

Wed Oct 3 16:16:36 UTC 2012

The topic of this note is the spelling "ya'll". Below is an excerpt
from a book dated 1898 that contains multiple instances of "ya all"
and "ya'll" in close proximity. (Please double-check for typos.)

Year : 1898
Title: Wit, character, folklore & customs of the North Riding of
Yorkshire: with a glossary of over 4,000 words and idioms now in use
Author: Richard Blakeborough
Publisher: Oxford University Press Warehouse, Henry Frowde, London
Page: 314 and 315

http://books.google.com/books?id=JONZAAAAMAAJ&q=%22ya+all%22#v=snippet&

Please note that the 1750 date in the following excerpt is from the
text and not from me.

[Begin excerpt]

COMIC SONG
A Beautiful Boy
[Date about 1750]

Ah sed, 'Lasses, beware o' love's piercing darts,
Foor feearful Ah be Ah s'all steeal all yer hearts;
An' then, mah deear lasses, ya'll sob an' ya'll sigh,
When you think o' mah charms, whahl ya'll langwish an' dee.
Ah can kiss, bud Ah caan't wed ya all,
Bud Ah wad if Ah mud, gert an' small;
Ah lang for ti cuddle ya all,
  For, ya ken, Ah's a beautiful boy.