A new one on me y'all guys

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Oct 3 20:41:07 UTC 2012

On Oct 3, 2012, at 11:53 AM, Alice Faber wrote:

> On 10/3/12 11:47 AM, Arnold Zwicky wrote:

>>> [AF] I was so startled by it, it didn't even occur to me to google.

>>> [AF] It "felt" like a token-for-token replacement for "youse" in "youse
>>> guys", but that's my NY area bias talking (misleading me?)
>>
>> more neutrally: "y'all guys" plays the same role for some Southerners (etc.) as "youse guys" does for NYers (etc.) -- and as "yinz guys" does for Picksboigers.
>>

> And that says something--I'm not sure what--about the lexical status of
> "guy" and "guys" as some kind of pro-forms.

One argument for the pro-formal (?) nature of "guy" is the existence of contexts in which singular "guy" (as opposed to the more easygoing plural) can be sex-neutral--just in case it serves as a kind of place-holder, more or less like "one". From my collection:

(1) —Your first mistake was telling him [= an abusive caller] your name.
      —Yeah, but there were only two of us on the phones, and they would have figured it was me because I’m a girl and the other guy is a guy.

(2)  from “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” (the 1992 movie):  Merrick (Donald Sutherland) tells Buffy (Kristy Swanson) that she is “The Chosen One” who must fulfill her vampire-killing destiny.  But she’s not really into her mission and it falls to Pike (Luke Perry) to remind her of her true calling.
            Pike:          But you’re the guy! The chosen guy!
            Buffy:       I am the chosen one, and I choose to go shopping.

(3)  I like sex just as much as the next guy.
 —Kate Austen on “Chicago Hope”

LH