OED Appeal: Kwanzaa, Kwanza

Thu Oct 4 07:43:48 UTC 2012

The OED appeal requests: "Kwanzaa earlier than 1971."

I located the variant spelling "Kwanza" a little earlier. Not much.
Maybe this will help other searchers.

Cite: 1970 December 19, Boston Globe, [Television/Radio listings],
Page 34, Boston, Massachusetts. (ProQuest)

[Begin excerpt]
TELEVISION/RADIO
CELEBRATION OF "KWANZA," a traditional African holiday celebrating the
harvesting of the "first-fruits" or crops of the season. Sisters
Fulani and Kadijab explain Kwanza. Jim Spruill, lecturer, Emerson
College, tells African folk tales. 7:30 (7)
[End excerpt]

Please check this text for typos. (Assuming that all my posts have
typos is an excellent idea.)
Garson