pro-formal (?) nature of "guy"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Oct 4 12:44:32 UTC 2012

On Oct 4, 2012, at 8:25 AM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> Though it doesn't add a great deal, see HDAS.
>
> I believe I've posted a few supplementary items here over the years, but
> they don't add much either.
>
> The "freaky-looking person" sense applied to either sex.
>
> JL

Right, I should have.  The sporadic hits for "she's a 'real guy'" (Eugene O'Neill, 1927), "Be a good guy, Ma" (1929), "She's a great guy" (1934), or "a regular guy", "a right guy" (also from the 1930s) suggests that "a POS-ADJ guy" was functioning formulaicly during this period, given the absence of the kind of examples of female-referring (or rather female-allowing) "guy" in more recent occurrence that I was discussing:  "the other guy", "the next guy", "just one guy", "the chosen guy".  In the latter examples, "person" could substitute without changing the intended meaning, but in the former ones it really can't, since "a real/regular/good/great… guy" connoted something that the equivalents with "person" wouldn't have.  Compare (maybe) "our go-to guy" (in woman's basketball).

LH