Henry James on Eliot on "a curved ball"

Thu Oct 4 22:29:32 UTC 2012

Here is some extracted text that I think is from the Atlantic article.
But I cannot see any relevant instances of "curve" or "curved". They
might still be present because search in GB (and all the big OCR
databases) is erratic.

The Atlantic monthly - Volume 144 - Page 599
books.google.com/books?id=_IgRAAAAMAAJ
Making of America Project - 1929 - Snippet view - More editions

http://books.google.com/books?id=_IgRAAAAMAAJ&q=shabbiness#search_anchor

[Begin extracted text]
At a Faculty meeting the President had been commenting on the
shabbiness of the University baseball team, which was undeniable.
Finally he spoke of one man in the team who was, he said, a Special
Student in the Law School, but never attended his classes. 'The
students,' he added, ' like him because he is "up to all the
professional tricks."' After the meeting, ...
[End extracted text]

Garson