"a day that will live in infamy" (in a positive way)

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Oct 5 02:02:35 UTC 2012

Just two corrections (to the Subject line, which perhaps is not
Mark's invention) -- Roosevelt said (and apparently drafted, from the
facsimile) "date which", not "day that".

As far as I'm concerned, his "which" is correct.  ("December 7, 1941,
a date" is unique, and so does not need a restrictive "that"
clause.)  They knew how to teach English at Groton, and if the
students didn't learn they would be corrected at Harvard.  But then,
I'm a prescriptivist.

Joel