Britishism?

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Mon Oct 8 16:37:45 UTC 2012

Book sounds unexceptional to me too. I'm not from Boston, but grew up in New
Jersey and have lived in DC, California, and now Toronto.

"Reserve" is used to obtain exclusive use of something for a limited period,
like a tennis court, airplane seat, restaurant table, or rental car.
Generally you don't reserve time (i.e., and appointment) with someone.

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of
Baker, John
Sent: Monday, October 08, 2012 10:22 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Britishism?

I'm a little surprised at this, because "book an appointment" sounds utterly
unexceptional to me, although "make" and "schedule" sound fine too.  Maybe
it's regional and I'm influenced by my years of living in the Boston area?
However, I gather Wilson has spent time there as well.

I could "reserve" a tennis court or tee time, but I've never reserved an
appointment.  It sounds like a somewhat tentative arrangement to me, as if
the person reserving the appointment then would have to book it as a second
step.

John Baker