From Barbara Need via Facebiik

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Oct 10 03:33:02 UTC 2012

On Oct 9, 2012, at 10:54 PM, Wilson Gray wrote:

> "What does _popular_ mean today? A student described Heracles's
> slaying the Nemean Lion as 'the most popular' of his labors."
>
> You got me!

Yeah, it's a toughie.  Given my own pack-rattiness, I've always been partial to Labor #5, that Augean stable clean-up. But then my former UCLA corridor-mate Theo Vennemann may disagree, given his classic paper alluding to #11:

Vennemann, Theo. 1998. “Andromeda and the Apples of the Hesperides.” In
_Proceedings of the Ninth Annual UCLA Indo-European Conference_, ed. Karlene
Jones-Bley, Angela Della Volpe, Miriam Robbins Dexter, and Martin E. Huld,
1–68. Washington, D.C.: Institute for the Study of Man.

LH