Facebook

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Oct 18 02:30:19 UTC 2012

On Oct 17, 2012, at 9:41 PM, Ben Zimmer wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 7:48 PM, Laurence Horn wrote:
>>
>> On Oct 17, 2012, at 7:33 PM, Wilson Gray wrote:
>>
>>> "… doesnt believe in global warming, _littlone_ EVOLUTION!"
>>
>> Wow.  Never saw that one coming.  I figured if I went trawling I might
>> find others, but it took me to p. 6 of the (many) google hits on "littlone"
>> to find this mate for yours:
>>
>> I spent forever with customer support and they don't know crap so yea I
>> wish cable wasn't a monopoly because I would leave mediacom for comcast in a
>> heart beat considering I don't get what I'm paying for. And I am sure there
>> are plenty of stupid people out there that can't tell the difference, crap
>> people can even secure their networks littlone check their bandwidth.
>>
>> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r25910869-MN-mediacom-cutting-DL-speed-when-you-have-a-router-connected-
>
> The Eggcorn Database has "little lone" and "little own".
>
> http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/english/84/little-lone/

--which I guess do qualify a bit better as eggcorns, since at least they sort of make sense, while littlone is just a kind of admission that it's entirely opaque for the writer.  And of course "little one" would have the wrong phonology and not much better semantics than its rivals. We have discussed what for me is an odd substitution (blend?) in a related construction:  "nevertheless" or "never the less" for "much less".  Three examples from my files; the links may have since died.  Do any of you find this a possible use of "nevertheless"/"never the less"?

First, we have no control over the streets of Baghdad never the less the whole country, so how can we enforce this solution on anybody?
<http://www.opednews.com/articles/opedne_sameh_ab_061025_iraq_2c_the_single_way.htm>

i don't see anything in it for me, other than not being able to make it through one speech, never the less, a whole ton of speeches.......long day, tiring, exhausting, in my estimation, not something i would look forward to at all, in any way shape or form, and i'm just wondering, if others have felt this way before, and then did go and enjoy themselves
<http://www.hdac.org/phorum/read.php?5,17671,17883>

I've also fallen in love with “Roll Over”, which can be described as a
type of new age jam song, with a electronic twist to it......something
that the String Cheese Incident first tried on this cd. Rollover, alone
is an experience...never the less, the entire cd. Sit down, get up,
drive around, walk about......whatever you're doing, you'll enjoy
listening to this cd over and over.
<http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/A3SG3Z7NB02V64/ref=cm_cr>

LH