"Hot seat" on ADS-L

W Brewer brewerwa at GMAIL.COM
Sat Oct 20 16:53:50 UTC 2012

BP: <<< I've long been frustrated by similar errors from . . . many
others--all too lazy or unskilled to check >>>

DW: <<<studies have shown that issuing corrections only ends up reinforcing
the false belief in the minds of the readers>>>

WB: These two comments contain the essence of my discontent. Why does
Everyman hold pre-scientific views about language in general? Why aren't
school children taught a science of language, on a par with other subjects?
Instead of chastising the lazy & unskilled, we should have filled their
heads with what the linguistic community knows to be accurate (not
"correct"). Organizations like ADS should be guiding the Anglologue
community towards accurate linguistic thinking, but so far get zero for
social responsibility.