How is pho really pronounced?

Sun Oct 21 00:00:11 UTC 2012

I thought it was an unrounded [o], IPA [ɤ]--a high-mid unrounded back vowel.  As far as I know, Vietnamese doesn't have front rounded vowels, but it has a whole series of back unrounded ones.  The closest American English equivalent would be a Southern pronunciation of cup, but that's too far front.

Paul Johnston