'Killing' for 'suicide'

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 22 16:48:23 UTC 2012

Comparable:

When I mentioned to an acquaintance recently that my nineteenth-century,
NYC-born, thoroughly unaffected grandparents always said / v a z / and not
/ v ei s /, she thought it was A, incredible, and B, sounded illiterate.

Of, course, I used to say "vahz" too till ridiculed out of it in school for
being a pompous ass. Same for "tomahto."

JL