purtan euphemisms

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Oct 24 01:46:20 UTC 2012

It isn't a question of "seeing through" them. "God" and "Jesus" and
"Christ" are divine names that   differ greatly from silly words like
"Gad," "Gee whiz!" and "Cripes almighty!"  Literalism, literalism,
literalism!

One exclamation the Puritans undoubtedly did use was "Gemini!/ Jiminy!"
 Clearly of learned origin, it is recorded as far back as the 17th C.

JL